The Swiss grocery stores and markets now have fresh rhubarb and today, I made a rhubarb, strawberry and apple crumble. This healthy and easy-to-make dessert is packed with minerals, vitamins, organic compounds and fibre.
However, when it comes to strawberries, I urge you to buy the organic kind. This year, strawberries are at the top of the list of produce with the highest concentration of pesticides. If you can’t find any, a good thing to do is to soak them in a bowl of cold water for a while and then rinse them out well in a strainer. Eating organically produced foods is not only good for your health, it also helps the environment.
Rhubarb, strawberry and apple crumble
Oven: 350°F /180°C
Baking dish: 18 x 26 cm (7 x 10 inch)
In a deep saucepan with cover off, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes stirring often:
- 4 cups (400 g) rhubarb, sliced into ½ inch chunks
- 1 cup (160 g) organic strawberries, chopped in chunks
- ½ teaspoon (tsp) finely grated orange peel
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons (tbsp) maple syrup
Add and simmer with cover off for 10 minutes, stirring often:
- 4 medium sweet apples, peeled and chopped in bite-size cubes
- 1-2 tbsp granulated brown sugar (maple, date or cane sugar)
Remove from heat and add:
- 1 tsp arrowroot or cornstarch to thicken. Sprinkle just a little at a time whilst stirring so it doesn’t clump.
Take saucepan off heat. Put the cover on and let the filling marinate for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, process the following ingredients in a food processor for about 15 seconds just to obtain a moist crumbly mixture:
- 3 fresh medjool dates, pitted & softened (soak dates in a bit of hot water for a few minutes to soften; discard water after)
- ½ cup (60 g) pecans (or other nuts)
- ½ cup (50 g) natural rolled oats
- 1 tbsp granulated brown sugar (maple, date or cane sugar)
Pour the rhubarb, strawberry and apple filling into the baking dish. Sprinkle the top evenly with the crumbs. Place dish in pre-heated oven on the middle rack and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden and juices bubble at the sides. Take out and let the crumble cool to thicken. Serve warm or cold. Portions can be re-heated in microwave. Cover and store leftovers in fridge.