Lentils, lentils…who likes lentils!? I sure do, especially when I need to replenish my iron stores. Rich in iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, protein and antioxidants, lentils are so good for you. They are a vegetarian or vegan’s best friend. However, when a lentil dish is as fragrant and tasty as this one, even meat eaters will want to indulge.
Made with green lentils, marinated red onion, lots of fresh herbs and a ripe mango, this lentil salad is the perfect summer meal or side dish. The walnut vinaigrette brings it all together and gives it a rich nutty flavour.
Lentil, herb and mango salad
- 1½ cups dry green lentils, rinsed well with a fine meshed sieve
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth (homemade -or- bouillon cube + water -or- another kind)
- 2 cups chopped fresh herbs (a good handful of each: basil, mint and coriander)
- 1 big fresh ripe mango, peeled and sliced in fine strips
- 1 medium-size red onion, finely sliced
- Garnish (option): walnuts roasted in oven at 200°C / 392°F for 5 to 7 minutes
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ teaspoon (tsp) lime zest
- ½ cup walnut oil
- ¾ tablespoon (tbsp) grainy mustard (e.g. Dijon)
- 1 tsp liquid honey or maple syrup
- ¼ – ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp sea salt & a few turns of cracked pepper
1. In a medium sauce pan, bring the vegetable stock to a boil. Add the lentils and reduce the heat to a low-medium heat. Allow to cook half covered for 25 to 30 minutes until lentils are tender but not mushy.
2. Drain the lentils with a meshed sieve and let them cool completely in the sieve. When cool, you can either store the lentils in a covered container in the fridge and make the salad later or proceed straight away with the recipe.
3. In a salad bowl, add the cooled lentils. Then add the chopped herbs and mango strips and toss gently.
4. Slice the red onions and place them in a small bowl. Set aside.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk the vinaigrette ingredients together. Pour the vinaigrette mixture into the red onions and let them marinate for 5 minutes. (Marinating the onions will make them less strong, however, if you like them strong then omit this part and add the onions and vinaigrette separately into the lentils).
6. Add the vinaigrette with the red onions to the lentils and gently toss. Cover and refrigerate for a short while (e.g. 15 min.) or serve immediately. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Garnish servings with roasted walnuts and/or a few leftover herb leaves.
2 thoughts on “Lentil, herb and mango salad”