I made this plant-based chocolate pie for my husband’s birthday last week. It was delicious and went so fast that I ended up making a second one.
This easy-to-make pie is decadent in a light kind of way. It’s chocolaty and creamy like pudding but not too sweet. It also holds perfectly, even without the coconut oil or cacao butter or Agar-Agar powder. Instead, I added 2 tablespoons of finely ground chia seeds. Mostly made with raw ingredients, this dessert hits all the high notes for nutrition.
The recipe is below.
Plant-based chocolate pie
Oven at 200°C / 392°F
One 22 cm (8½ inches) springform pan lined with parchment paper
Base (use a food processor)
- 2 cups raw pecans
- ½ cup natural rolled oats
- ¼ cup of maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
Filling (use a blender or food processor)
- 1½ cups raw cashews, softened *(see note)
- 1½ cups warm water
- ¾ cup 100% cacao powder
- 8 fresh medjool dates, pitted and softened in warm water
- ½ cup coconut cream or thick coconut milk (not watery)
- 2 tablespoons finely ground chia seeds (can grind in a small coffee grinder or mini blender)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
* Note: To soften the cashews, transfer them to a bowl and cover with tepid water. Put a lid on the bowl. Allow to soak overnight. If you use boiling water, they only need to soak for 2 hours. For a quick soak: Put the raw cashews in a microwave-proof bowl and cover them with tepid water. Put a lid on and microwave on high heat for 3 minutes. When done, transfer the hot cashews into a strainer and drain all of the hot water. Rinse the cashews under cold running tap water to cool them.
Add the base ingredients to your food processor bowl and process until you get a crumbly-moist mixture. Press evenly in the bottom of the pan and bake in preheated oven on middle rack for 7 to 8 minutes, until edges are golden. Remove and let cool on a rack.
Meanwhile, soak the pitted dates in a small bowl filled with hot tap water to soften them (about 5 minutes) and then discard the water. If you haven’t soaked the cashews, put them in the microwave now (see note above for a quick soak). Rinse the soaked cashews under cold water with strainer to cool them and transfer them into your blender or food processor bowl.
Add the the 1½ cups warm water to the cashews and blend or process for one minute to get a creamy liquid. Add the cacao powder and blend or process for 10 – 15 seconds until well mixed. Add the softened dates and coconut cream and blend or process (stop to scrape sides if necessary) until the dates and cream are incorporated into the mixture. Add the ground chia seeds and vanilla and blend or process until creamy, stopping to scrape sides if necessary.
Pour into the prepared springform pan and spread evenly. Cover with foil or a tea towel. Put in freezer for at least 2 hours and then refrigerate for at least 4.
Serve topped with fresh whipped cream of choice (dairy or coconut).
Keep leftover pie stored in a covered container in the refrigerator. It will keep for several days.