When the weather outside is cool, cloudy and rainy, pasta is the ultimate comfort food. This one-pot creamy mushroom pasta is not only vegan and healthy but also incredibly easy to make. Yes, you read that right – one pot! That means less time spent washing dishes and more time spent enjoying your meal with family and friends.
In this recipe, for a creamy texture, I added cashew cream, which is a good source of healthy fats, protein and minerals like magnesium, zinc and copper. I also added plenty of fresh mushrooms, which are known for boosting the immune system and supporting overall health. Finally, for that mouth-watering umami bomb flavour, I added three simple ingredients: nutritional yeast, miso paste and Marmite.
This easy dish is a great option for anyone who is looking to add more plant-based meals to their diet.
The step-by-step instructions are below.
One-pot creamy mushroom pasta
- Pasta of choice ( I used whole-grain fusilli)
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium (or 1 large) cooking onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, grated
- 500 gr. brown mushrooms, chopped ( I used a mix of cremini & Shiitake)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups veggie broth/stock ( I used homemade)
- 1/2 cup cashew cream* see note (can sub. with a cream of your choice)
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (I used this kind)
- 1 tbsp brown miso paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Marmite (known as Vegemite in Australia)
- Ground pepper, to taste ** see note
- Garnish with grated parmesan and dry red pepper flakes
* Note: For cashew cream, add 1/3 cup (60 gr) softened raw cashews and 2/3 cup of water in a small blender or NutriBullet bowl. Blend for one minute or until creamy. Measure 1/2 cup of the cream and add to recipe. Instructions for softening raw cashews are here.
** Note: There is no need to add salt. The miso and Marmite contain salt.
- Prepare, chop all the ingredients having them ready to go. Cook the amount of pasta that you need and according to package instructions. When done, strain and set aside.
- In a pot or a deep pan on stove top, heat the olive oil on medium-high. When oil shimmers, reduce heat to medium and add the onion and garlic. Mix and toss for one minute. Add a bit water to prevent from sticking to the bottom.
3. Add the mushrooms and toss constantly for 7-8 minutes.
4. Add the balsamic vinegar and keep tossing and cooking the mushrooms for a few minutes.
5. Add the veggie broth and mix.
6. Add the cashew cream or other cream of choice and the rosemary sprig and mix.
7. Add the nutritional yeast, miso paste and marmite. Mix well to combine, raise heat and bring sauce to a boil. Then immediately reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes uncovered and stirring often. If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can add an extra tablespoon of nutritional yeast. Keep in mind that it will thicken with the pasta.
8. Add some ground pepper to taste. Add the cooked pasta and toss well to coat the pasta.
9. Serve the pasta with sauce immediately in bowls. Top with grated parmesan and red pepper flakes. Store leftover sauce in a container in the fridge. The sauce may thicken with time, so if needed, add a small amount of broth or water to dilute prior to re-heating.