Fall has arrived in Switzerland. And that means apples. Lots of apples!
Our neighbour gave us a bucket of apples from his apple tree and I got to work thinking up a recipe. The result is a moist, delicious cake chock full of apples and other wholesome ingredients. Vegans and non-vegans alike will love it.
This apple cake is great for breakfast, dessert or as a mid-day snack with coffee or tea. A slice before exercising can help boost your energy and fuel your workout. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Bon appétit!
Apple cake (vegan)
Oven: 180°C / 350°F
- 4 cups apples, peeled & chopped (approx. 4 large apples)
- 3 tablespoons (tbsp) brown linseeds or flaxseeds, grounded (I use a small coffee grinder)
- 6 tbsps warm water
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup natural rolled oats, small size oats
- 1/3 cup organic maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup walnuts, chopped small
- ½ cup date paste (6 pitted medjool dates + 3 tbsps water)*
- 1/4 cup Omega-3 vegetable oil
- ½ cup warm water
* For the date paste, put the pitted dates in a small bowl with 3 tbsps of water. Heat this on high in the microvawe for 30 seconds until soft. Remove and process with the water until smooth (I use a handheld blender for this).
Prepare one 24 cm (9.5 inches) round springform pan with parchment paper and grease/flour the sides.
In a small bowl, combine the grounded linseeds with 6 tbsps of warm water and gently mix to obtain a paste. Set aside for at least 10 minutes to thicken.
In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
In a large bowl, with electric beater, mix the wet ingredients and add the linseed paste. Mix until smooth. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until blended. Add the chopped apples and handmix well. The mixture should be thick and chock full of apples!
With spatula, spread the apple mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for one hour, or a little longer until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool and serve.