These fruit and cream cups are a refreshing recipe that can be enjoyed all year round. They are great for breakfast, dessert or as a mid-day snack. The cream is 100% dairy-free and made with raw cashews. As previously mentioned, you only need to eat a small amount of cashews to feel satiated. I therefore recommend that you use small fruit cups. The cups in the image above are the same size as an individual yoghurt cup.
Vegan fruit and cream cups
Serves: 8 cups
- 1½ cups raw cashew, soaked overnight in warm water -or- 2 hours in boiled water (see here)
- ½ cup coconut cream*
- 3 tbsps (tablespoon) maple syrup
- 2 tbsps fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 tbsp chia seeds, grounded (use a small coffee grinder or food processor to grind seeds)
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon or lime peel
- fresh or frozen fruit of your choice, diced
*Don’t use coconut water or coconut milk for this recipe. If using coconut cream in a can, with some brands, you may need to scoop out the thick cream at the top.
Put the fruit cups in the fridge to chill. When cashews have soaked, strain the water and rinse them through a sieve. Put all ingredients, except the fruit, in a high-speed blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Pour cream in a small bowl and chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare your fruit. Prepare each cup by layering and alternating the cream and fruit. Cover the cups with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. They keep in fridge for 2-3 days.